Orthodontics (correction of occlusion)
Bite correction with braces
Bracket or brace system is a special construction, which is used to correct malocclusions.
Nowadays, braces are widely used in modern dentistry. Braces straighten the dental arch with permanent fixation of the teeth in a certain period of time.
Braces represent a small number of locks attached to the front surface of teeth interconnected by metal arc. By means of this arc we get the desired tooth movement. The arc is made of a material (nickel-titanium alloy), of a sspecific shape. Firstly, the arc is given a certain shape, and after fixing it to the teeth, it begins to approach it.
When are braces used?
• While correcting malocclusions
• To move the teeth
• While correcting diastema or the presence of the gap between the teeth
• For the stretching of teeth in the case of difficult teething
• In the treatment of deformities of dentition, arising as a result of tooth loss
In modern dentistry, there are different types of braces: ceramic, metal, sapphire, lingual.
They are made of ceramic. Ceramic braces are widely used today. They are very popular with adult patients, because they are more aesthetic than metal.
The advantages of ceramic brackets:
• Ceramic braces are invisible, because they match to the color of your teeth
• They are more comfortable than metal, and do not irritate the gums
• They are solid; they don’t break down; they are very firmly attached to the teeth
Disadvantages of ceramic brackets:
• Ceramic braces are usually more expensive than traditional metal
• Treatment of ceramic brackets lasts longer than with metal brackets
• They are usually bigger than the metal
Previously, metal braces were not just brackets but a large ring around the teeth. Currently small metal brackets are attached to the front surface of the teeth. Metal braces are still widely used; they are the cheapest among the available brackets. Metal braces can be made of silver or gold.
The advantages of metal brackets:
• Metal braces are more affordable
• They are firmer and not prone to fractures
Disadvantages of metal brackets:
• Metal braces are not aesthetically
• First, they may not be entirely comfortable but habituation will appear in a few weeks
• First, they can cause irritation of the gums, but these problems will go away in a few weeks.
Sapphire brackets are made of pure monocrystalline sapphire. They are very clear, aesthetic and durable. Sapphire braces don’t get colored, plaque isn’t accumulated on them. If the teeth are very bright, then sapphire brackets are the best option, because they are transparent. If the teeth are not very bright, it is better to give preference to ceramic braces.
Lingual (lingual) braces are fixed on the lingual (inner) surface of the teeth; they are not visible from the outside. Usually, lingual braces are made of metal.
The advantages of lingual braces:
• They are invisible!
Disadvantages of lingual braces:
• Lingual braces interfere with language, because they are fixed to the lingual surface of the teeth, it is difficult to talk;
• Lingual braces are more expensive
• Treatment by lingual braces takes a few months longer than traditional
How long should I wear braces?
Terms of wearing braces are individual, depending on the clinical situation, on average – 2 years. After removal there is a period of braces supporting, it means that in this period, doctors have made you a special plastic retainer. It is thin, comfortable to wear, does not contain any metal elements. The fact is that after the achieved effect retainer provides rectified position of the teeth and prevents relapse. When the retainer is made, doctor will tell you how long to wear it.